Pages

Breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering, Babywearing, Attachment Parenting, Natural Family Living and beyond in the Starkville, MS area

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Natural Personal Care Recipes

Making your own personal care products at home can save you money and eliminate a variety of toxins from your life. Here are several recipes we discussed in our meeting and if you have a product that you'd like to replace, please ask and I can assure you, I have a recipe to replace it!




Liquid Shampoo:
1/4 cup distilled water
1/4 cup liquid castille soap
1/2 teaspoon jojoba/olive/apricot/almond etc. oil

Mix ingredients together in a bottle and shake well before using. You can also steep a variety of herbs like rosemary, nettle, calendula etc and use the tea in place of the plain distilled water. If you like a little thicker shampoo, add 1 teaspoon of liquid glycerin. 

Since I am without my laptop, I can't find my original shampoo bar recipe. Here is a great tutorial and recipe and she even makes it in the crockpot which is how I make mine as well! 

Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter:
1 cup of coconut oil
1 teaspoon Vit E (natural preservative)
5-10 drops of your favorite essential oil (I like lavender)

Whip on high for 6-7 min and store in a glass jar. I also like to use either shea or cocoa butter in mine and generally add in equal parts to the coconut oil.

Lotion bar:

Take equal parts of non-hydrogenated shortening, oil (coconut, olive, jojoba, etc) & beeswax. Melt the beeswax and shortening in a double boiler, then add the oil. Add 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil and 1 teaspoon of Vit E and once it's all melted pour into soap molds or silicone molds. Once cooled/hardened your ready to use it!

Body/Hand Scrubs;

Sugar scrub-
2 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup EVOO
4 tablespoons lemon juice

Combine in a mason jar and mix well. Rub into hands and rinse!

Salt Scrub-
1/2 cup sea salt or kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup EVOO
30 drops of your favorite essential oil

Combine in a mason jar and mix well. Rub into hand and rinse!
I like to keep these by my sinks and they make great gifts too.

Again, I don't have access to my original homemade lotion recipe that I love and I want to give you guys a simple and basic starting point. I have multiple lotion/cream recipes for specific skin predicaments if you're interested. I stumbled across this blog last fall and she has a wonderful, basic and easy homemade lotion recipe that is almost identical to the one I use as the base for most of my lotions. Give it a whirl! 

Now, for my shameless plug ;)...
I am officially getting my business going to sell my personal care products and herbal teas and concoctions. If you'd like anything, just email me. I hope to have everything up and running before the Farmers' Market opens in May. I will be utilizing my bloom. botanicals facebook page a lot more over the coming weeks and hope to have an etsy shop going soon as well! If you need something, let me know! Just because it's not listed or publicizes, doesn't mean I don't have it or won't make it ;).  I have herbal teas for all sorts of ailments and general health/well being, shampoos, lotions, creams. salves, sunscreen and the list goes on and on. Everything is made with the highest quality organic and natural ingredients by me! As the season grows on, many of the herbs in my teas and concoctions will be straight from my garden. Also, I have several workshops in the works over the next few months if you are interested in a hands on learning experience to make your own products and learn about herbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment